Dr. Thomas Aaberg
Dr. Thomas M. Aaberg, Jr. graduated from Dartmouth College and the Thayer School of Engineering. He went on to medical school at the University of Wisconsin and completed his residency training, vitreoretinal surgical fellowship, along with the prestigious chief residency position at the Bascom Palmer Eye Institute. Following this he completed an ocular oncology fellowship at the University of California, San Francisco.
After completing his medical training, Dr. Aaberg became the Director of the Ocular Oncology Unit at Emory University, the Director of Ocular Photography and Ultrasonography, and the Atlanta Veterans Administration Hospital’s Retina Service Director. From 2001 to 2008, Dr. Aaberg practiced with Associated Retinal Consultants in Michigan.
He has been an investigator in twenty clinical trials, authored over 30 peer-reviewed articles and wrote seven textbook chapters. He completed the American Academy of Ophthalmology’s Leadership Development Program in 2007 and received an Achievement Award from the American Academy of Ophthalmology in 2008.
Dr. Aaberg is board certified in ophthalmology and has extensive training in retinal diseases and ocular tumors. He is an active member in the American Academy of Ophthalmology, the American Society of Retinal Specialists, president of the Michigan Society of Eye Physicians, The Retina Society, and the American Association of Ophthalmic Oncologist and Pathologists.
He is passionate about teaching and research. As an adjunct clinical professor at Michigan State University, he trains medical students and residents. He is currently investigating therapies for ocular melanoma, age-related macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, retinal vascular disorders, as well advancing vitreoretinal surgery techniques.
- B.A. Dartmouth College 1985
- B.S. Thayer School of Engineering, Dartmouth College 1986
- M.D. University of Wisconsin 1991
- Residency Bascom Palmer Eye Institute,
University of Miami 1995
- Retina Fellowship Bascom Palmer Eye Institute,
University of Miami 1996
- Chief Resident Bascom Palmer Eye Institute,
University of Miami 1997
- Ocular Oncology Fellowship University of California,
San Francisco 1997
- Assistant Professor Emory University 1998-2001
- Associated Retinal Consultant Grand Rapids 2001-2008
- Assistant Clinical Professor Michigan State University 2001-present